Thread: recent bust?
View Single Post
Old 05-04-04, 09:12 PM   #36 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to snakeylesnake
some very interesting points. i have mentioned this subject before about animal welfare groups going out of control.
In the UK reptile shows are pretty much a thing of the past due to the RSPCA nad a group called animal aid. Animals aids main objective is to stop All animals being kept as pets, even cats and dogs. However, to get public support they pick on a minority and hugely misunderstood greop of pets to start with; reptiles. Because of their biased and incorrect views and claims, the RSPCA forced all local councils to ban reptile shows. The main "evidence" was that all reptiles cause salmonella to be passed onto humans, this story started from a child that sadly died from salmonella after it had ingested the feces of a burmese python that was let loose in the house. surely thats more a case for child welfare, not animal rights. as tragic as that story is, what sort of parents would let a large mamal eating reptile loose in the same house as their own child? would they let a child roam free among dog feces as well?
AS for the amount of reptiles that die in store etc, it is a terrible thing, but if their is a market for reptiles and people can make money then it will always continue. But, in my opinion i would much rather have hobbyists breed reptiles than for them to be needlessly removed or farmed from the wild just to supply the pet trade. Unfortunatly, alot of newcomers to reptiles will be at a pet superstore, these superstores dont care if a 100 reptiles (or cats or dogs etc) die if they make profits. There are good reptile shops about, Reptilia breeds the majority of animals that it sells and will stand by them 100%.
Right now i have a small collection that i do intend to breed, this year i was hoping to breed my GTP, in a strange way i was almost relieved that i didnt. Just from 2 breeders that i know, over 100 baby chondros will be available, some will be sold overseas, but most will be sold in canada. NOw, if people are wanting to buy a chondro they will most likely end up at a respected breeder, and for me being my first breeding of chondros, id probably be down the list a fair bit!. So i may not sell one baby, but what to do? to be honest if i ended up keeping each and everyone of them i wouldnt bat an eye, but thats just me.

jack and coke, please.