View Single Post
Old 04-08-04, 11:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to HeatherK
I had many people who knew me (even my vet) recommend a career as a Veterinary Techinician as well. I researched it extensively, spoke to RVTs (FYI, a Registered Veterinary Technician can get a little higher pay, and I believe there are only about 3 RVT courses at colleges in Ontario).

The reasons that made my decision to not choose that path, is the lack of pay for the hard and long hours that I'd likely be working, there really is no advancement available, and I don't think I'd be happy in that kind of environment (sick animals, ignorant owners, emotional and physical stress.. I don't deal well with stress in the first place).

One of the RVTs I spoke to (graduate of St. Clair in Windsor I believe) said that you can expect to earn around $12/hr, that's if you work in Toronto. Not sure if that's straight out of college or once you've been at it for a while.

You will learn a lot, you can also learn a lot volunteering for a vet. That's a great thing to do if you're thinking about this as a career, or even shadow a tech and see what is really involved. Definately not a glamorous job, and the colleges want to know that you realize that and are not thinking it's playing with cute animals all day Some applicants really do think that.

The opportunities are great, you WILL find work. More and more people are owning pets and giving them more medical care. The exotics field is growing as well.

Good luck! It took me years to figure out what I wanted to do, take your time.
Login to remove ads