View Single Post
Old 04-07-04, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Honestly, I took the option just to see what it was like. After I look back, I can tell you I did not like it all that much. I was stuck working with folks that loved lil' doggies and kitties and hated scally animals. Many folks were pretty Pro-PETA and you get to find out that 98% of people should not owner animals. You must be able to multi0task with the best of them, and follow detail very well. There was a lot of cool stuff I did learn, and glad I did do it overall. I was not paid vey well either, but it was better than flippin burgers somewhere. If you do not mind taking fecal saples manually, then it aint so bad. Expressing anal glands was about the only thing I did not care for, everything else was a breeze. I liked helping in surgeries and some of the more "In the hospital" stuff. I had to take care of rooms also, not a lot of fun talking to folks and getting info. Thats when you think to yourself... God, this person is bonkers, no wonder their animal is dieing. Also, I have a bit of a problem with the medical side of things, no wonder I had not a lot of interest after being there after a while.

Anyhoo.....My recommendation is to look at what you want to get beyond being a simple Vet Tech. Look into what kind of animals you would like to work with and go from there (Who says it "has nothing to do with herps ") . It is something that works out if you give it your best and desire something better.

P.S. I have done a lot more trade work and labor work, and for myself, I love it. I like it a lot more than the medical animal field.
Beau Medlar

Rattlesnakes of Arizona