10 things newbies need to know.
After 2 years or so of being on the site I decided it might be a good idea if we posted a list of things that answer some of the most common questions we get.
So here goes with 10 things off the top of my head.
10. Heat Rocks suck, they burn reptiles.
9. Don't stick your heat pad to the bottom of a glass tank. It's there for life in most cases and when the herp out grows the tank you have to get a new heat pad when that one could have done.
8. Yes, you need UV light for your diurnal lizards.
7. Boas and Pythons only defecate about once every 4 meals or once a month or when they shed.
6. Don't house more then one herp per cage unless attempting to breed.
5. Research, research, research.
4. Although your local vet does not specialize in exotics they can still help. They have contacts and resources.
3. Buy CAPTIVE BRED!
2. The corn snake is the best first herp.
1. Ball Pythons are picky eaters at the best of times and do not eat for extended periods of time in the winter. Get over it or get a corn.
Anyone else have any I've missed?