View Single Post
Old 03-19-04, 02:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Send a message via Yahoo to Auskan
True, herps can be helped at home with proper husbandry, and vets, even those who say they are exotic pet vets, often don't actually know a great deal about them. As an example, I have a corn snake which I could only describe as "spastic". She seems to have little control of the upper third of her body. Her head is constantly tilted about 90 degrees, and when she tries to go anywhere, her head sort of flops around all over the place. I took her to a vet who advertizes expertise in exotic pets, and he didn't even pick her up to look at her - just kind of said "oh yes, I see what you mean. Let's keep an eye on her" (whatever THAT means!) Despite her "disability", she has no difficulty with eating, she poops, she even sheds, though usually with some difficulty and I have to soak her then run her through a damp towel to get leftover bits of skin. She is so active that I would say she is "happy" enough and I'm not overly concerned about her. I'll continue to give her the best possible care but she will never be more than a pet - I'd never try to breed her.

Having said that, vets are indispensible when fecals need to be run, unless you own a high powered microscope and know what to look for. They also can dispense medications (such as as parasite medicine) that are unavailable "over-the-counter", so I would hesitate to say that good husbandry alone can eliminate the need for vet care, even for herps.
0.1 Ball Python, 0.1 Creamsicle Cornsnakes, 1.0 Amelanistic Cornsnake, 1.0 Ghost Cornsnake, 1.0 Motel Amelanistic Cornsnake, 1.0 Okeetee Cornsnake, 0.1 Striped Amelanistic Cornsnake, 0.1 Silver Phase Miami Cornsnake, 0.1 Sunglow Cornsnake
Login to remove ads