View Single Post
Old 03-04-04, 09:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Gregg M
Squamata Concepts

Send a message via Yahoo to Gregg M
Hey Kim,
The Arizona bark scorpion (C. exilicauda) can and has caused human fatalities.........
Usually only in very young, old or people with certain health conditions.......... Also an alergic reaction can kill.........
It is alot more potent than a bee sting....... Whoever said that, really does not know how hot they are.......
They were once considered to be the most toxic scorpion in the US........ But futher studies have shown that C. vittatus ( texas bark scorpion) is much more toxic.......
Put it this way, if they make an antivenin for it, it can be considered a medically significant sting.........
I have been stung well into the triple digets by both species and I can tell you first hand that C. vittatus is way worse but both are bad........ Scorpion venom for the most part does not cause any real swelling........
Maybe alittle at the immediate sting site but usually not much further than that........ Scorpion venom acts on the pain receptors........ Scorpion venom is not used to break down it food.........
The venoms soul perpose is to kill it prey and to ward off attackers........ Maybe tomorrow I will post an LD50 on these two species......
Also the scorps were really not in danger as long as the guy did not bite down on them or swallow them......... I am sure the scorps were actually quite comfortable being in a dark place......LOL
Gregg

Last edited by Gregg M; 03-04-04 at 09:25 PM..
Login to remove ads