View Single Post
Old 02-11-04, 07:48 PM   #55 (permalink)
Scales Zoo
Please Email Boots
Originally posted by Classic
[Scales Zoo: Quote: "The wildcaught trade, as it presently sits is sad in my opinion. The conditions of many petstore reptile departments are not what I'd want the activists to think is the norm".
Good point Rob.
hehe cute...not.
I'm not sure why you think that statement is so "Rob-Like", but I will admit publically, and stand by it, that I would like to see the wildcaught trade changed, and that there are petstores which are not keeping their animals as well as the majority of private keepers do.

Edited - (If you weren't being sarcastic, and just made a freudian slip of Rob for Ryan, then I appologize for getting defensive, and feel kind of stupid)

A good start is and i'm sure many others as do is, tell a pet department that their animals are being kept in sub-standard conditions.If their practices are incorrect, give them sugestions on how to fix the problem......They must be told that their improper husbandry practices are imitated by the unsure new hobbiest.

It is our responsibility as a community to uphold our hobby. We can make a difference. You just need to have a say if you see something wrong.

HighWaterHErps [/B]
You saved me some typing Brian - as the info in the above quote(directly above, not that other one), was kind of part of my point (I didn't go there - but since you brought it up...) Just ask many people on this forum, this thread infact. Doing something about the petstores that keep their animals in substandard conditions is something I've preached about it the past, and something I've personally done in the past.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough in the above post, but what I was trying to say is that, we, as hobbiests, should maybe do something to improve the areas that could use some improvement, so that people like Rob don't try to do it for us (much more drastically than we would like to).

Edited to add: - I don't want to sound like I'm totally against wildcaught animals, I know of their value in a breeding programs and other areas... But, thousands of poor pet type of reptiles being imported and sold, just so they can die, is not something I enjoy watching at it's current rate.

Login to remove ads