View Single Post
Old 02-10-04, 07:52 PM   #33 (permalink)
It isn't only because of the pet stores that wild caught reptiles is still around. Why are there always new morphs coming in the states, most of the times, it's because the carrier of this defective genes is a wild caught animal. There will always be breeders that will give big money for new morphs (even if the animal is wild caught).
Plus, imagine if there were no more wild caught reptiles, imagine 30 years down the road, or maybe even 25 years from now, I am pretty sure inbreeding will have a big effect on these animals.
You need the different blood strains.

And if you look at it space wise, I do not know anyone who will give a appropriate size enclosure to a reptile. Yes it's not necessary for them to have a big space, and yes some reptiles will spend their whole life time in an area the size of a room in the wild. But take monitors for example, they travel big distances in the wild and no one here would be able to offer them that wide of an area (would be kinda bad to try and find him after).

But I also see benefical things about this.
If people do things correctly, we could be able to help certain reptile populations that are in danger. But at the moment, it is true the market is more on the selling point and not preservation.

Also, I doubt a reptile will have a better health in the wild than in captivity (excluding the keepers who don't give the proper care for the reptiles). In captivity, I am sure we feed them much more than they would eat in the wild. and most of the cbb specimens are free of parasites which can give them a longer life span.

We need to be careful on what we do with our reptiles. Most of us keep them in appropriate conditions but it is always the few that don't that will catch the media's eye...