View Single Post
Old 02-10-04, 12:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Jeffs comments are correct, but I wish to clarify some of the quoted info in the post above that.
I've been importing and exporting in Canada, for a couple decades...
It's a pain but its possible, and I actually think it's easier now that it used to be.

To start with I disagree that there is a "real lack of reptiles available in Canada"
This might have been the case a mere decade ago, but there isn't much left that isn't up here now, and some has just arrived in the last couple years.
We have Boelens, Angolans, Diamonds, Dumerils, Malagasy's,Olive Pythons, Anthill Pythons, Stimpsoni,...albino boas, albino sandboas,albino rosy boas, most Ball Python morphs, and the list goes on and on...and we have lots of monitors and geckos and pretty much everything else.
Sure we aren't yet producing all of those, but they are here, and Canadians produce more and more herps very year.
And the market while expanding, is hardly what I would call "a great market waiting to be filled"
It's come a long way in the last decade but we are still very small, partially do to the vastness of the geography and the comparitvely small population and correspondingly small herp consumer base. Also moving herps across this great land is costly. In the US the postal service can be used legally to move small herps like geckos.
In Canada, you can't legally mail any live animals , nor can you legally put them on ground couriers, so we have those big c-note charges to air cargo even geckos... and not everyone has an airport handy , and this is limiting trade in our own country.
Most of the larger breeders are forced to export much of what they produce, because there simply isn't a big enough, or easy enough to service, customer base domestically.

In addition to that, a couple minor corrections:
1. there is no duty on wildlife(ie herps) There never has been(GST & PST, yes but not duty)
2. Canada does not require "health permits" for imported herps. This pertains to some European countries but not ours.
3. Canadians cannot do "ALL the paperwork" because the CITES export permits come from the US government not ours, and while it is possible for Canadians to apply for US export permits,it can't be done without some cooperation from the US supplier.
They must provide a breeder statement and the permit must go to a US address.
Uncle Roy
Herpetology - more than a hobby
It's a Lifestyle
celebrating 26 years of herp breeding