View Single Post
Old 02-09-04, 09:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
Very interesting topic!

I find it so sad to know that there are so many unwanted iguanas out there... They are hard to care for but also can make an interesting herp to have.

I had never ever planned on having an iguana. From what I had heard on their care requirements was enough to deter me from ever getting one. They weren't even a herp that interested me much in terms of looks.

Until I saw an iggy in need of a new home. He had been rescued from a pet shop where he was to be killed off in a freezer. The person who had saved him brought him to the local herp association meeting where he was introduced to us.

I fell in love instantly! He had a funny face because his jaw was deformed to MBD but I loved it, IMO it gives him a more special look I told the person that I was interested in taking him in but would need some time to set up an enclosure for him and take a crash course in iguana care.

A week later "Paco" was in his new home with me. Since that day, I have been a total iguana lover! Me, who wasn't interested whatsoever in the species, am now thinking of setting up another ig habitat as to rescue another ig!

They are hard to care for. They can definitely be a handful, I have plenty of scars to prove it, healed and fresh! But at the same time, I feel there is more reward with an iguana than a snake for example.

I've been working with my Paco for about 5 months now and he has greatly improved. He still can be a little testy at times but that makes me laugh! They are more intelligent than most herps and some days are just too great when another step forward in taming and handling happens.

It's amazing to see more direct results from a lot of hard work with an animal.

I started in the herp hobby with an interest for fancy snakes and things of the such. Now, although I still love them, my passion has moved over to green iguanas.

Keeper of 5 snakes, leopard geckos, 1 green iguana, 20+ tarantulas, 2 dogs & a bunch of rats!
Login to remove ads