View Single Post
Old 02-08-04, 11:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to Vanan
I know what you mean, but we've been down that road long ago doing rescues and stuff. We realised that there will be no end to it. You take in 6 rescue iguanas, 7 beardies and 3 Burms. What are you gonna do when you find another 2 iggies, 3 beardies and 1 burm to be rescued?? There's only so much that can be done. And some just choose not to even start lest it overwhelm them.

There's more than one reason why herpers don't even consider keeping "rescue-type" herps. Some herps were never meant to be in the hobby. Like iguanas for example. Not at ALL a beginner lizard. I'd even go as far as saying that monitors are easier (even with their varied diet).

Another thing you must have noticed in this hobby is that, a good number of people, whether they care to admit or not, keep herps for money. Be it the main reason or a side benefit. Of course, those people don't last very long in the hobby. But imagine them trying to breed normal beardies or leos for profit!

It's just how this hobby grows. Once something is too common, people seek more uncommon stuff. Thus, common stuff get dumped. Soon enough, beardies and leos (normals) will join the ranks of iguanas. I've already seen a fair number of "Free to good home" ads regarding these beautiful herps.

Some people like only lizards, detest snakes. Some love corn morphs but would never keep a normal. It's just preferences. But it's nice to know that there's still people out there who would care for these "non-prefered" herps for what they are.
The Herp Room

"The day I tried to live, I wallowed in the blood and mud with all the other pigs" - C. Cornell