View Single Post
Old 02-05-04, 11:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Gary D.

Send a message via MSN to Gary D.
Jeff, you may have missed the point of my posts. The discussion was regarding herpetoculture, not field study. Field study is a completely different area. Certainly there others that have chipped more animals in that application. I agree that in field study there is no standard implantation site, many researchers also implant intramuscular in the neck muscles, just behind the head. As I stated, the site I chose, which coincides with Bob Clark's is more consistant with accepted sites for domestic use, which this is, and thus is more likely to be found by a vetranarian or technician. Consistancy within the hobby is desireable. However I suppose you are correct in that I should have stated, regarding implantation sites, that I use and recommend...

Subcutaneous implantation is only temporary and will eventually be lost due to shedding in snakes, thus is not desireable for the intended purpose in herpetoculture. This has been witnessed by myself and is supported by AVID Canada. Intramuscular is the best permenant method. In addition it leaves a noticeable lump as you have observed which is definately easier to remove. Implantation within the body cavity was not in error, this is the best practiceable implantation site for small snakes, such as neonate boas. In addition to not leaving noticeable, (and undesireable when selling offspring), it is virtually impossible to remove other than surgically. Also the wound should be sealed with a surgical glue. The methods I use have been discussed as a group and first performed with a close friend and herpetologist, my vetranarian and a representative of AVID Canada.

Thank you for allowing me to clarify.
GD
Have you tried the IGUANA? I hear it's great. IGUANA kabobs for all !!! EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA ... This message brought to you by ssEATYOURIGUANAss.com

Last edited by Gary D.; 02-06-04 at 12:27 AM..