Thread: Insurance
View Single Post
Old 02-02-04, 08:57 PM   #29 (permalink)
Join Date: Nov-2003
Location: Pickering, ON
Posts: 45

Basically, what it come down to is this. Insurance companies have to assess risk based on statistics. (How else would they price the product) If you come out and say "Oh, by the way... I have reptiles, will you still insure me?", their first assumption is: If this guy feels that his reptiles are enough risk that he has to mention it specifically, they probably are. They don't know what kind of products are used and probably assume it's a risk. (While often, it is nothing more than a 60w lightbulb) Would you ever come out and say "I have a hamster, will you cover me?" Of course not. A hamster is not a significant risk. If you make it an issue, it will be an issue.

The best advice I can give is:

1) Don't tell your insurance company anything you don't have to. Be honest, but don't offer information.

2) If you have to have an inspection on your house, try to move your animals out temporarily. If that can't be done, be sure your wiring is legal (and neat, not tangled).

3) Your animals are only covered if damage is done by specified perils (causes). I.e. they would replace your animal if it died due to a fire.
There is no coverage for damage done directly by animals (of any kind), but a fire cause by the lamp on your tank would be covered unless it was caused by negligence.

4) If you are determined to ask your insurance company about coverage for herp owners, you don't have to tell them that you are insured with them and you definately don't have to mention your name. Act as if you are looking to purchase coverage.

On the Flexwatt topic:

Heat tape (or any American approved) as a heat source that is NOT sold in Canada and has no approval. Your in luck... certain HVAC products (categories as noted in CSA approval applications) are grandfathered or have parelled requirements. Flexwatt falls under these categories (as well as Flexall which IS CSA approved but only avialable through Europe.... do a simple search on Google, it pops up). You are covered by your insurance policy (at least mine but mine are pretty commonly writen caviots on a common contract) AS LONG AS YOUR ACTIONS (regarded as negligence if YOU cause the mishap. Meaning you didn't wire it wrong or broke any CSHA rules like open connections) did not cause the mishap (house roast).
This is correct. It is covered, as it meets comparable requirements and is exempt. (Providing the fire is not caused by negligence)

Chas*e: Sorry if I was a bit aggressive (and defensive) off the start, but you are making an attack from a unknowledgeable position. If you ever saw the industry from the angle I have, you would realize the the problems lie within the legislation and society itself.
C_Ellenzweig is offline