View Single Post
Old 01-31-04, 01:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Send a message via Skype™ to SerpentLust
I have always used red bulbs, more for my comfort because I've always been confused with something about heatpads...You have the heatpad on the bottom of, for now, we'll say an aquarium. It sticks to the bottom and you plug it in, most safely to a dimmer. Then you have your thermometer on the tank (I'm mostly talking about people who don't buy the thermometers with the probes) like I'm talking about the one that sticks to the back of your tank and is circular (like the zoomed precision analog reptile thermometer)....does that really accurately tell you the temperature? You have no way of knowing exactly how hot the belly area of the tank is. Whereas with the red bulb, it IS giving off Ambient heat and that's what those thermometers are measuring!

I've always been confused about that.

Also, yes UTH's work on glass tanks, but how does one heat something thicker like a melamine enclosure if they're looking strictly for belly heat? These are the questions that have always thrown me back to red heat bulbs, humid hides for the humidity and a basking area under the bulb.

Answers to the questions would kick butt! lol

"A rattlesnake that doesn't bite teaches you nothing."