View Single Post
Old 01-30-04, 01:53 PM   #87 (permalink)
Jeff_Favelle

Send a message via AIM to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via MSN to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff_Favelle

Quote:
Jeff - I would like to re-emphasize for about the fifth time that I DO NOT HAVE ADULT PYTHONS OR BREEDING PAIRS OF ANY KIND IN MY HEATED ROOM. I am well aware of their additional requirements during breeding time, and would fully provide that for them. I really don't know why I have to keep repeating myself in these posts just to get a point across.
Ok, so now it changes. During breeding time, NOW you give them the choice of extra heat. This is new. We are progressing. But every so slowly.....

Quote:
I'd like to also add that recognize that pythons seem to be the only species that I know of that literally requires a thermal gradient during breeding time - I know many people who breed colubrids in constant-temp rooms, as well as boa constrictors.
Ken boas ARE pythons man (basically). The "can" gestate at 84F but its not advisable. Temp gun a gravid boa in ANY collection of ANY breeder worth his/her salt in N. America, and it won't be 84F. Before follicular development maybe. But when its gravid. I think Marshell temp-gunned some of his at 90F last year. I've had the Rainbows at 92F (2000, and 2001)!! And they are supposedly cold-loving!

And this is the root of the problem. You are making assumptions and guess based on what others have told you, without first doing it yourself. I find that dangerous and I hope no newcomers to the hobby are going to follow your husbandry methods.

Quote:
Jeff F- Dont Diamonds also Shiver around clutches to regulate temps like burms do?? I got to see a burm coiled around a clutch and it was such a cool site!
ALL pythons coil, some shiver. But I don't think any raise the temps as high as a Burm could. Maybe Retics and Rocks, but I doubt it. They are from such hot areas anyways. And even a Burm is going to have a hard time raising the heat from 84F to 89-91F.