Glad to hear that your doctor has dealt with this as aggressively as he has. Small wounds that produce a bigger than expected reaction in anyone (compromised immune system or not) have a possibility of being due to the bacteria that cause necrotizing fasceitis which can cause severe damage to tissues in a very short time. Not specific to injury associated with animals and definately not something to delay with - this leads to amputation or worse if it is ignored.
Hydrogen peroxide is a good alternative for immediate wound cleansing - it does not damage tissues, does not sting and is very effective at killing bacteria.
Glad to hear you are doing better.