Thread: My small rant
View Single Post
Old 01-14-04, 07:49 AM   #34 (permalink)
Breeding animals for your own curiosity and enjoyment is one thing, trying to sell them and then crying about the competition's lower price or a buyer's desire to get the best deal is another.

All I'm saying is if you're going to participate in the market you should be aware of it's nature. The nature and function of the reptile, or any other market is not to promote the hobby or your enjoyment. Markets exist to generate money and while it's true that the vast majority of breeders won't make a cent the whole thing, the trade itself, would not exist if no one made money.

It's funny to think about all the people breeding reptiles that don't make any money who think they are helping the hobby or the industry. The people responsible for creating the industry, making it possible for the rest of us to do it for fun, realize that this industry is like any other, someone has to make money or the whole thing collapses. There's nothing wrong with breeding animals and not expecting to profit from it, I do it myself, but understand that when you go into the market to sell your animals that not everyone else looks at it the same way. The other sellers are trying to out sell you and the buyers are trying to get the best deal. Even if you aren't trying to make a million bucks doing this you still want the most money you can get for your stock right?
I feel a little light headed... maybe you should drive...