View Single Post
Old 12-24-03, 05:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to Invictus
Ok, here's some more feedback for you.

1) I still say you need to change the name. Reptiles have a bad name as it is. It's just plain too morbid. No mother who has a 7 year old is going to hire "Reptilian Fangs" to entertain the kids at a birthday party.

2) Wait until you're 18 or older to get into the educating business. No one is going to hire a 13 year old to educate people. It's just not going to fly. I hate to be the one to bring this harsh reality to you, but it's the way it is.

3) You can't just go to peoples' houses and do shows. You need liability insurance, probably no less than $1,000,000 worth. Yes, one million. The premiums for this will probably be ludicrous. If you don't have this liability and one of your herps bites a child, kiss the rest of your earnings for the rest of your natural life goodbye. By the way, I believe you have to be 16 or 18 to get insurance of any kind in this country.

As for the pamphlet, this line:

One of our talented instructors will show our reptiles to everyone at your party who dares to watch!
Has GOT to go. Just like the title of your show, Reptilian Fangs, it makes reptiles sound like dangerous sideshow freaks. That is not the message you want to be sending, is it? It could be damaging not only to your business, but herping in general.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, it's great that you have dreams and goals. But, without the liability insurance, the experience, and the age under your belt, it's just not going to fly, man. There's nothing wrong with waiting.

Here's another VERY solid reason to wait... your animals will be more accustomed to being handled, and you'll have a better understanding of which of your animals are kid-safe. A 6 inch sav or a baby ball python, or a baby anything is just too unpredictable.

I hope in the future you do get this going for yourself, but in my opinion, you have got to wait for a while. And you've got to change that name.

If you don't want to take my word for it, send a PM to Scales Zoo. They've been doing this a long time, and can help point you in the right direction.
- Ken LePage