Thread: evolution
View Single Post
Old 12-21-03, 11:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to Zoe
Adaptations are produced through evolution
Actually, it's the opposite. Following enough adaptations, there will be some form of evolution, be it macro (larger scale, occuring over geologic time and resulting in a new taxonomy) or micro (smaller... such as a new subspecies).
Adaption isn't produced through selection, either. It's simply a trait that asserts itself (or disapears) in a single generation or over a few, following an environmental change of some sort. In one respect, it is selection, because the weaker individuals - those incapable of adaption - will die. But it's not selection in the same sense as the natural selection that occurs during evolution.

If these silkworms were to evolve, there would have to be formation of a new species or subspecies (or the one species might separate into two). Otherwise it's just adaption.

I think that evolution is a term thrown around too easily, sometimes where it isn't supposed to be placed. Like here:
But this type of "adaptation" would also have to have been something that would have been inherited thus it is still evolution at work
I would think it would be the opposite (I know, I'm splitting hairs ) it's more like the eventual evolution that would come of a large-scale adaption would be adaptation at work.

But the question remains the same - will silkworms be able to deal with the change in temperature. IMO, probably not. If it happened over a few centuries maybe, but I don't think 60 years will produce enough generations to adapt to such a severe change in temperature. Other, more versatile species, perhaps, but silkworms are really stuck in their niche and I don't see them exitting it (alive) anytime soon!