View Single Post
Old 11-28-03, 01:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wuntu Menny
Send a message via MSN to Wuntu Menny
Nice ethical question, chas*e! I know many keepers that share that view. I'm of the opinion that, as a keeper, you bear the responsibility of providing any means available to you to provide the best environment and opportunity to thrive as you possibly can to your charges. I absolutely abhor the "disposable herp" mentality that dominates our hobby these days.

Personally, I've spent in excess of $300 to treat a single issue for an animal. I know many of you have dedicated more than that and I applaud and respect your efforts to ensure your animals have the best treatment available. I do, however, take exception to the individuals that choose to provide the bare minimum and let nature take it's course. After uprooting these animals from their native environs, I feel that it is our responsibility to provide the optimum chances for their survival and reproduction to perpetuate their respective species thereby ensuring their genetic legacies.

Additionally, I feel its high time that herps received the same considerations as mammals and birds when it comes to the "Animal Welfare Act" and the rights and considerations stated therein !!

Revenge is a dish best served cold...

With a side plate of steaming entrails,
And a nice Bordeaux!