View Single Post
Old 11-18-03, 08:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Clutch and egg sizes decreasing "on average" is a negative effect of inbreeding? I think it's more influenced by imporper diet and husbandry......smaller adults = smaller egg/clutch sizes.

As for other abnormalities and health issues, the captive population is growing tremendously. How many people have you heard of that had at least one clutch of beardie eggs this year alone? Also, with a growing population comes increased health "abnomalities", just the same with people.

I'd be interested to know the research that was done to come up with these averages as well. I don't think the law of averages can really apply here. I know several breeders that produce hundred of babies (talking about beardeds here in particular) and never have a problem beyond the odd "small" hatchling. I also think this is a perfectly natural occurance, not related to inbreeding at all.

I realize you are coming from a medical standpoint, which is great, but I'm sure you hear a lot more about the problems and such than the people that are keeping their animals with no health problems to report.

As for my thoughts on decreased resistance, I agree with you. Most reptiles have incredible resistance to just about anything given they are healthy to begin with, and are being kept properly. This is something they have developed over thousands of years of exsistance. After several generations of captive propogation this begins to work backwards. If the threat is not present, there is no need for the defense. In some cases, incomplete nutrition in captive diets also play a role here, but that is not related to the topic.

I guess I'm up to $0.04 now