Thread: Ebay Abuse
View Single Post
Old 11-13-03, 09:24 PM   #26 (permalink)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ontario_herper
Chuck is right in many regards. Although as snake lovers we frown upon people eating snakes and other herps, it is a way of life in many parts of the world. I once shared a few beers with an aboriginal in Australia. He told me several stories about all the snakes and goannas that he and his family had caught and eaten. Of course I wasn't overly happy to hear these stories but I think it is important to be open to the ways others live their lives.

It is easy for North Americans to sit in their fancy homes and look on a television or computer screen and be disgusted with how others around the world consume animals in one way or another. In many such cases their consumption has little impact on wild reptiles. In most cases these people are only trying to fill their stomachs. Of course there are species that are hunted too extensively and this is very sad.

It just seems weird to me that people are so harsh on others around the world that may catch a few snakes and eat a few monkeys to put food on the plate. Meanwhile we are sitting here typing on our computers wasting copious amounts of energy. Where does this energy come from? In most cases the environment was altered in one devastating way or another not so we could feed our families but so that we can have the luxuries that we do.
David Smith