View Single Post
Old 11-04-03, 09:05 PM   #73 (permalink)
Hi everyone! Lori Dunn here again. Slannesh seems to be interested in my position at the zoo - I work in the Americas pavilion and am a keeper there who specializes in reptiles. Since I know you will ask -as you seem to have so much time to delve into the minutia of people's lives ( including your own) - My past experience involves reptile keeping at the National Zoo in Washington D.C working for renowned herpetologists Bela Demeter and Trooper Walsh. I'm sure you will look them up just to make sure they are real and actually exist. Let me give you a teaser - Trooper was the first to breed komodo dragons in north america and a renowned Chondropython expert blah blah blah - you look it up. I have been trained at the Toronto Zoo by the now infamous Grant Ankenman - an expert in herpetoculture and breeder of snakes for well over 20 years. Yes I have seen my share animals dying from being overweight and developing subsequent health problems both in the private sector and at zoos, and I speak out against it whenever necessary. Thank you for your rundown on the fat content of certain nuts. I'll be sure to refer to it the next time I shove a handful into my face at a cocktail party. Unfortunately, I said seeds not nuts ( quick!! go google for the fat content of seeds!!). This wild rodent diet is still not nearly as fattening as the food that breeder rodents get. Oh but I forgot, according to your own herp website ball pythons eat lizards and other snakes (snicker ). Better consult a real book to find out that they actually feed mainly on a rodent called a gerboa which is similar to a gerbil. I guess you missed that in "all the dozens of caresheets, books and t.v shows that you've watched on snakes and ball pythons" For the others out there that are still confused, a healthy ADULT ball python should be fed appropriately sized mice or rats every two to four weeks. Generally, smaller more frequent meals for med to large boids is not as healthy a schedule as is a large meal once every few weeks to a month. There are books out there which may give evidence of this, but generally it is learned through years of experience in keeping snakes, and that info is passed down from the " old timers" to other budding herpers. Oh yeah , many of the old time herpers I have worked with would cringe at you keeping your ball python on astroturf - but hey that's a whole other topic! Oops! There I go stirring the pot again!! Enjoy!