View Single Post
Old 11-02-03, 05:24 PM   #38 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to Vanan
Please double check posts before accusing people of taking the exact opposite stance you claim they made *rolls eyes*
If I did so, my mistake. Apologies.

Care to cite your sources since you're obviously such an authority on wild Ball Pythons? Thought not.
Don't recall me saying that. But if you deem me so so be it. BTW, I mentioned snakes in the wild, not ball pythons specifically. And yes if so, I do have some experience seeing snakes in the wild. And let me tell you, I have yet to find an undernourished snake in the wild. (at the risk of sounding pompous) I have seen garters with injuries living in an industrial park, I have seen baby bulls born just a month or two ago, never have I seen an undernourished snake. But in captivity, man, there's just too many undernourished snakes to count. And to set the record straight, I still challenge anyone to show me that just cause a snake does well under certain temps and humidity, means that that's how it is in the wild. Maybe you should be the one researching on the wild habitat and climate of ball pythons if you think that the WC ball in your local petstore was suffering being in the wild.

You dangle what the snake perceives as 'food' in front of it and it strikes. if it doesn't recognize it as food it doesn't
*ahem* Are you saying that if a snake doesn't strike and eat, that it doesn't know a rat as food? Hmmm...makes me wonder how much experience you have with snakes.

Not to say I am an experienced keeper. Far from it as I'm still learning everyday. In fact, show me twenty years from now that your bp is 100% healthy and I will be the first to admit I may have been wrong. But unfortunately I have seen otherwise only too often. I have not yet seen ANY evidence to prove that over feeding isn't detrimental to a snake's health. In fact, that part about the Pholadelphia Zoo doesn't state what size prey that bp was fed.

And for the record, my ball python, which I am so cruel to underfeed, is at least 6-8yrs old. I got him about 4yrs ago and he was a full grown adult then. Probably a WC animal originally as there weren't very many bp breeders where I was from back then.

My final stand on this is that, if one thing works for a snake, it may not necessarily be the same for another. Younger snakes obviously feed more than older ones. Although I have to mention that I do not agree about underfeeding it to stunt it's growth. I feed my younger snakes between 5-10 days depending on age and metabolism. A racer or garter would obviously eat more than even a cornsnake. My reason for getting involved in this thread is for those others who are reading this and hoping to learn something. Always remember, there's no set rule with snakes (with some exceptions). Snakes are still not domesticated yet (close but not enough) and there's only so little we know. Before we start jumping on the bandwagon and agreeing with everything someone says, I'd rather someone form an educated opinion of their own. Listen to both sides and us your best judgement (if you're capable of it).

P.S. I wish I could pull up that article on the largest black rat in captivity (and albino btw) who only eats one rat a month. Remember it being on the KS forums. Anyone know where it is?
The Herp Room

"The day I tried to live, I wallowed in the blood and mud with all the other pigs" - C. Cornell