View Single Post
Old 10-14-03, 07:30 AM   #21 (permalink)
Do you do it by yourself? SCR has 50+ in venomous alone (need to get an exact count) but we have 2-3 of us taking care of them.
Anyone who has kept venomous knows that each hot is as much work at 5 nonvenomous. Takes so long to do anything. Ya just don't reach in to change out a waterbowl.

I am running at about 45 hots and about 20 or so nonvens right now. It is actually not that difficult as long as you have a system. As soon as I get home every day I go check on the snakes and spot clean and change any soiled or empty water and remove sheds. Figure only 5-10 per day, so it is not that bad. I am at one snake per cage so feeding is not all that bad either. Although it does make it cumbersome when using feed totes. Feeding is much easier when you have an updated database. Before i go to bed the day before feeding day, I figure everything I need and separate it into a bag. Then pull it out of the freezer at lunchtime.

I think the biggest thing with a large collection is having a maintenance system down and getting enough feeders. If ya don't get a good deal on feeders, they can eat you out of house and home, especially if you are dealing with snakes that take large prey items (1 lb feeder and up).

To get out of town is not too difficult. We have 5 cats, so we have to have someone taking care of them anyway. They peak in and make sure all the snakes are alive. If there is a problem, then they call me and I can get an experienced herper/hot keeper over there to take care of it. I also clean the cages and replace all the water dishes the day before I leave. And I don't feed for about a week and a half before I leave. This way there is less chance of them befouling their cage or water.
I planted some bird seed. A bird came up. Now I don't know what to feed it.