View Single Post
Old 10-09-03, 08:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Send a message via ICQ to Ladyhawk Send a message via AIM to Ladyhawk Send a message via MSN to Ladyhawk Send a message via Yahoo to Ladyhawk
I have three Okeetees: one male and two females. I have decided to name the male "Kernel Cobb." I want to name one of the females after the Native American corn goddess, "Selu."

One of the females has the wonderful belly checkerboard pattern from head to tail, which is a bit unusual. I'm wondering about a name that would acknowledge this feature, but "Checkers" sounds like a male name to me. What do you think?

I also have three albino or reverse Okeetees: one male and two females. The male has an inordinate amount of white. He should be a real looker when his orange comes in. In fact, some of his blotches are completely eclipsed by white. I wonder if the blotches will come in. I doubt it. If not, he'll have a pattern of white blotches on his sides. I've named him "Ringo." I've named one of his wives "Starr." Interestingly, the other female has a blotch that is shaped a bit like a crescent moon, so I've named her "Luna."

The other two are a crimson and a lovely hypo. They are both quite a bit snappier than the others, though I'm sure they'll calm down. I've named them "Lestat" and "Akasha."

My other snakes are Aragorn and Arwen, the Arizona Mt. Kingsnakes; and Bayou and Bijou the Louisiana milksnakes.

One thing I like about Louisianas is that they don't grow very large. Bayou is 17 inches plus, but Bijou is under ten inches.

I like the Louisianas best, probably because I've had them the longest and they defy all the bad press I've heard of milksnakes being nervous and spastic. When I feed Bayou, I actually hold him and hand-feed him. He will eat and swallow his meal while I am holding him. He is very, very tame. (I'm not sure this is considered a good practice, but I enjoy watching him enjoy his meal.)

The littlest milksnake is just so cute. She's a year old, but tiny. Louisianas hatch out at five small!

The problem is I haven't run out of names. I want to name one "Legolas" after the elf in LOTR. Legless, Legolas...get it? So, I have an extra name for a male, but I'm still looking for a name for female Okeetee. Maybe the fully checkerboarded female should be Selu and I should name the other snake something else...
|_ /\ |) `/ |-| /\ \/\/ |<

1.1 Arizona mountain kingsnakes (Chris Baubel and Gerold Merker)
1.1 Louisiana milksnakes (John Yurkovich)
1.2 Okeetee corns (Kathy Love)
1.1 albino Okeetee corns (Kathy Love)
1.0 hypo crimson corn (Kathy Love)
0.1 hypo corn / het for ghost (Kathy Love)
1.0 double-yellowheaded Amazon parrot

Last edited by Ladyhawk; 10-09-03 at 08:45 PM..