View Single Post
Old 09-27-03, 07:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to lilyskip
Re: ...

Originally posted by Jeff_Favelle
When you start to do that, you start to think that your snake is doing things for reasons that are NOT the true reason. This can then lead to BAD/WRONG husbandry. And it normally does.
I agree with this. My point is that it doesn't seem bad to enhance the experience of having a pet by giving it emotions, as long as you know and understand that it doesn't actually have them. I'd compare it to the guy in orginal Matrix who had dinner with the agent. He had the steak on the fork, knowing that it wasn't really there, and that it was just electric impulses being sent to his brain, and ate it anyway just to enjoy it.

I don't think there's a problem with combining proper husbandry and an understanding for the actual, instinctual reasons that a snake does something, while looking at your snake as a multidiminesional being with some semblance of a personality. Even if we know it's not true...if it makes the hobby more fun (and the animal doesn't suffer), why not?
1.1 ball pythons (Huxley and Marla)
~"Interestingly enough, the only thing the bowl of petunias thought was, 'Oh no, not again.'" --Douglas Adams~
* Mollie *