View Single Post
Old 09-25-03, 05:52 PM   #29 (permalink)
Linds
Former Moderator no longer active

Quote:
Originally posted by MouseKilla
What is the average juice monkey trying to convince the rest of the world to think of him? That he's a tough guy? That's just funny.
Why do you think they are trying to prove anything to anyone? Is everything you do to try to prove something to someone else? Can one not do something for themselves? Of course some are trying to look a certain way for other people, or to try to "be tough", but there are also a lot who do it for themselves... a true passion... just like us and our snakes. My boyfriend is at the gym 5 days a week, and him and his gymrats don't do it for anyone but themselves... in fact some people I know of have even been left by their significant others because of their workout habits... I can also say the same about snakekeepers. I know I sure don't keep reptiles to prove anything to anyone. I think that was a very poor generalisation.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff_Favelle
I mean, what's the point of getting huge if it doesn't even make you better athletically? Vanity? If that's the case, then that's just sad.
What's sad about wanting to look good? I personally hate most sports, but I work out because I like to have a 6 pack, I like to be stronger, I like to be fitter. I like the way it makes me look and I like the way it makes me feel.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff_Favelle
I mean, what's the point of getting huge if it doesn't even make you better athletically?
ath·let·ic ( P ) Pronunciation Key (th-ltk)
adj.
1.Of or befitting athletics or athletes.
2.Characterized by or involving physical activity or exertion; active: an athletic lifestyle; an athletic child.
3.Physically strong and well-developed; muscular: an actor with an athletic build. See Synonyms at muscular.

Athletics is not all about running fast and the like. Athletics involves a variety of activities, any of which involve physical exertion. Iron Man Competition is indeed an athletic competition, it doesn't involve throwing a football or hitting a ball with a stick. Athletic nonetheless. A basketball player probably couldn't pull a truck or lift a fraction of what a bodybuilder can, in the same a bodybuilder most likely cannot jump or run the same as a basketball player... each is just as athletic, and each have their own merits.