Thread: Australian Laws
View Single Post
Old 09-20-03, 09:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
KrokadilyanGuy3's Avatar
Join Date: Jan-2003
Location: Outside of Austin Texas
Age: 34
Posts: 851
Send a message via AIM to KrokadilyanGuy3 Send a message via Yahoo to KrokadilyanGuy3
You'll need to get a licence from the NPWS if you want to keep native animals as pets, carry out research into protected fauna and flora and
move native animals across state and territory borders.
All lizards, snakes and turtles are protected under the National Parks and Wildlife Act and it is against the law to take them from the wild. You can get a licence from the NPWS to keep captive-bred reptiles as pets.
People who hold a licence can obtain reptiles from other people who legally hold them, but they are not allowed to be sold through pet shops and must not be taken from the wild. There are two classes of reptile keeper licences.
Class 1 authorises you to keep most of the common species that are easy to look after. A person with just a basic knowledge of the needs of reptiles should have no difficulty meeting the needs of these species such as, eastern snake-necked turtles, eastern water dragons, eastern bearded dragons, common blue tongues,
children's pythons, and carpet pythons.
The fee is $60 for a licence lasting up to two years, or $120 for up to five years. Anyone over the age of 10 years can get a Class 1 licence. If you are under 16, and I know you are not, I think.. You must have parental/guardian consent.
You'll need a Class 2 licence if you want to keep species that are difficult to keep, rare in the wild or dangerous venomous snakes. A person with a Class 2 licence can also keep Class 1 species.
The Class 2 licence is only available to people who are over the age of 18 years who have had at least two years experience in caring for Class 1 reptiles. Some of the species that can be kept under a class 2 licence include, woma pythons, lace monitors, and frilled lizards.
Additional criteria need to be met before venomous species may be kept. The venomous snakes in this licence class are grouped into three sub-categories and the most dangerous species can be kept only by the more experienced keepers. The licence fee is $60 per year, $120 for two years or $240 for five years.
Commercial trade in reptiles is prohibited in NSW. Pet shops are not allowed to buy or sell reptiles or even to have them on their premises, but they can sell cages and other accessories..
Licensed keepers are allowed to dispose of their excess stock, such as the animals they breed, to other licence holders. However, they are not allowed to buy and sell animals as a commercial venture. They are also not allowed to advertise to buy or sell animals, except in the newsletters of the reptile keeper associations to which they personally belong..
I'm sure we all know and understand the import/export laws of Australia so I wont go into that.

KrokadilyanGuy3 is offline