View Single Post
Old 09-10-03, 09:34 PM   #69 (permalink)
Gary D.

Send a message via MSN to Gary D.
Back on topic here. To quote (heck I don't remember who)" we will only save what we love, we will only love what we understand, and we only understand what we have been taught."

I see the public out cry based on two points.
First, simply look towards the media and entertainment industry to see how the average population view the world. A good example is our favourite whipping boy, fear factor. The ignorant masses do not view reptiles to have much more worth than insects. Even the Calgary zoo on a recent radio commercial for Destination Africa said "all the animals and reptiles too". As long as society does not understand reptiles it will place less value on them.

Second. Man kind have had a close relationship with dogs and cats since before recorded history , and as such we have taken them out of the food chain and anthropomorphisized them into our place on the food chain. The thought of feeding an animal which we view as an equal an animal we view as a lower life form is deemed barbaric.

The arguement "they were going to die anyway, why not introduce the base protiens and amino acids back into the food chain where they can be useful" is an arguement based on logic. Where as the "that's inhumane " camp bases it's arguement in psychology and emotion.

GD

PS And all married men know that you can not argue emotion with logic and win, no matter how right you are. hehe.
Have you tried the IGUANA? I hear it's great. IGUANA kabobs for all !!! EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA ... This message brought to you by ssEATYOURIGUANAss.com

Last edited by Gary D.; 09-10-03 at 09:36 PM..