View Single Post
Old 09-05-03, 12:54 AM   #20 (permalink)
Here, Here, Corey, I second that!!..and thats why I rarely fly stuff, have yet to get a web site, and mostly wholesale batches of stuff off to one individual that pays me in a prompt and
professional manner.
Maintaining one or two good business relationships, to move your animals, is far easier than
initiating a brand new one with every potential sale.

Retailing direct to the end user, as they say, can be very problematic and time consuming for
breeders, because almost every sale involves correspendence, and planning, either before or
after or both. All of that involves time. If you have the time and are herping as a full time occupation, it's one thing, but most of us also have full time day jobs and other responsibilities and hobbies.
Also high end sales(500 and up/each) are worth the extra effort and full customer service.
You'll often notice that many breeders that are full service web based operations, are not selling only corn snakes and cal kings.
If it takes 3 hours of corresopondence time and effort, to sell a 50 dollar cornsnake and keep it
sold, with your reputation intact, that's just false economy.
You're better off moving the entire clutch to a petstore for 25 ea, and be done with it.
I almost always sell through a broker or direct to a retailer as this provides an all important
"buffer" and it avoids all the extra work and allows me to get back to what I do best. "breed herps"
Being a breeder doesn't necessarily mean you need to become or should be expected to become a marketer/shipper/customer realtions/ husbandry adviser/ full package marketer.
Don't get me wrong. I enjoy helping other herpers out,especially new ones,and I do so regularily , but private lessons for every single sale when you produce hundreds of animals, just isn't really feasable.
A little advice to herp buyers..
Realize that you too will probably be in our shoes eventually.
Most herpers do eventually evolve out of the purely acquisition mode to become breeders themselves, at least in a small way. Once you become a breeder, you're part of the industry, whether you like it or not.
Its in your best interest to make life easy on breeders if you have the opportunity to buy
direct. What goes around comes around as they say.

And a little plug for Retail...Retail is often much maligned, but these operations are really
the heart of the industry, and in fact control the industry. Without them there would be no shows, less clubs, less supply and less demand..

Retailers showcase breeders stock and have to deal with Joe public, Joe Newbie, and Joe
breeder alike... They welcome everyone into their stores, and do their best to answer
questions. The same questions over and over again... Retail is the On-Ramp for most future herpers/breeders alike!!!
That's there job ! But it ain't for everyone. It's something to think about when you're feeling
you would have got a higher price if you sold directly....Sure you do, but there are real costs
for that extra dollar!
The longer you hold animals the more you have to feed them, house them and water them. Also direct sales means meeting people somewhere , as most breeders don't have potential buyers to their facilities as this is a huge liability. Therefore travel is also frequently involved.
All this must be considered when breeders decide their strategy for moving their animals to market.
Most of us simply just want to do it the easiest possible way, even when that's not always the most profitable

See you all Sunday!! & be nice to the vendors! LOL
Uncle Roy
Herpetology - more than a hobby
It's a Lifestyle
celebrating 26 years of herp breeding
Login to remove ads