Originally posted by MouseKilla
Do you not use ingestable sand for the Kenyans? Or is that stuff maybe less ingestable than the package claims?
I've never used sand and never will, for a couple of reasons:
1) It traps way too much heat.
2) Extremely poor air flow. Sand can get up their noses and into their lungs, causing a plethora of problems.
I use very finely shredded aspen for the Kenyans. They seem to like it just fine.
Oh, I should mention also.. we hand-feed. I've found that if you dangle the prey ABOVE the snake, there is pretty much no way they can tag your hand. If they have to look up to get the prey, they'll get it by the head, missing your hand by as many inches as the prey is long.