Sometimes you need to exaggerate to get the point across that feeding live should only be done if absolutely necessary. Often people don't get it unless you do. And I'm sure that many of the live keepers out there do not realize the risks and do leave their prey unattended... hence incidents like this happen.
Not a hot keeper so hopefully someone else will be able to answer your question... although I have heard that they need to excercise their venom via live feeding before somewhere. It is much safer I believe for venomous snakes to feed on live due to the fact that they just hit the prey once and wait for it to die, rather than to grab on and hold... this is the point where most accidents happen.