View Single Post
Old 08-12-03, 01:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
I believe that our fear of snakes is also sparked by the inaccurate portrayals of them in movies and books. Snakes are almost ALWAYS portrayed as evil. By contrast, dogs are always portrayed as "good" (Cugo being the exception ). We all know this is not the case.

One thing is for sure, most people I've encountered, since becoming a snake keeper, think ALL snakes are venomous. Another thing is for sure, most people with large fears overcome them in a very short period of time when exposed to them. All of the false images are squashed when they touch or handle one. It's a fascinating subject really.

My wife lost a Christian penpal in Ghana because she found out that we kept snakes. She was convinced that we had brought a "great evil" into our home. On the other hand, we all know of the snake handling churches in the Southern states. They have a great respect for our slithery friends. At our church, we're known as the "snake handlers" LoL. The fact remains that the bible clearly distinguishes between "dangerous" venomous snakes and the harmless ones, ALL of which, I might add, Noah put on the ark.
"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind."