View Single Post
Old 08-11-03, 06:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
eyespy's Avatar
Join Date: Sep-2002
Posts: 2,125
Aspergillum is a microscopic mold that has nothing to do with the visible molds such as grow in over-moist environments and ones that aren't changed often enough. It's usually found in a symbiotic relationship with peat so any peat moss or soil mix containing peat can be considered to have aspergillium in it. So don't think because you don't see mold that it doesn't exist.

It even grows on newpapers or paper towels as they have enough organic matter to support the mold's need for protein. It's a natural component of house dust in homes with humidity levels above 60%.

Molds large enough to be seen with the naked eye are too large to penetrate mucus membranes and do not cause respiratory infections, although they can cause skin infections and digestive upset.
The Zombie Mama is here!
eyespy is offline