View Single Post
Old 08-04-03, 06:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Send a message via ICQ to Ladyhawk Send a message via AIM to Ladyhawk Send a message via MSN to Ladyhawk Send a message via Yahoo to Ladyhawk
The snake is tiny (nine inches) and the prey item was fine for the snake's size (newborn pink). However, she tried to swallow it tail first and couldn't get past the front legs. She was actually flipping over backward and writhing unnaturally...or at least what I interpreted as unnaturally. I watched her for some time before intervening. To me it seemed like an eternity. Instinctively, I know it's not wise to intervene with nature, but I made a judgment call. Maybe the wrong one.

Although I am still what you would call a newbie, I've watched snakes feed often enough to know what a normal feeding looks like. This didn't look normal to me.

Initially, she had tried to constrict the pinkie, but didn't actually kill it. The pinkie was gasping for breath at the same time the snake was flipping backward and writhing strangely. Perhaps I made the wrong decision, but I felt the snake's life might actually be in danger and I felt the pinkie was suffering needlessly.

By the way, Bryce, I like your quotes. I know the second is attributed to Benjamin Franklin. And if you're saying what I think you're saying about current events, I agree with you whole-heartedly.
|_ /\ |) `/ |-| /\ \/\/ |<

1.1 Arizona mountain kingsnakes (Chris Baubel and Gerold Merker)
1.1 Louisiana milksnakes (John Yurkovich)
1.2 Okeetee corns (Kathy Love)
1.1 albino Okeetee corns (Kathy Love)
1.0 hypo crimson corn (Kathy Love)
0.1 hypo corn / het for ghost (Kathy Love)
1.0 double-yellowheaded Amazon parrot