Thread: Please help!!
View Single Post
Old 07-19-03, 12:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to Oliverian
Please help!!

Two days ago I fed my young garter snake a tadpole and she ate it fine. When I took her out of her cage to get some sun, I noticed a round bump about an inch below her head, the shape of a tadpole. I figured it was the tadpole trying to swim back up.. now i'm not so sure. I ran my fingers over it and applied a bit of pressure trying to massage it down her body, and she didn't seem to mind so I figured she wasn't in pain. I wasn't sure what to do, so I put her back in her cage. The next day it was gone, so I figured she must have swallowed it. Today I fed her a small fish, she usually swallows them easily, but she caught and started to swallow it, only to have it stop at the same place. She kind of acted wierd... I wasn't sure if she was in pain or what, but then she threw up the fish. She tried 3 times to swallow it, and threw it up each time. Now I think she might have thrown up the tadpole too, without me knowing it. I don't know whats wrong!! I suspect either a piece of substrate got caught in her throat(she's kept on sterilized dirt), or if mabye a fish's fin cut her throat or something and now she has an infection. Please help me! What should I do? Have you ever heard of snakes not being able to get food past a certain point because of any problem? Is there anything you can do to determine whats wrong, or anything you can do to help either impaction or an infection? Please hurry, I don't know how serious it is!
Tammy Rehbein
-You can search all day for something and never find it, only to see it in the most obvious of places after you've stopped looking.-
Login to remove ads