View Single Post
Old 07-16-03, 07:56 AM   #34 (permalink)
Chuck.. How do you keep him from biting you? Must pick him up really gently or something... Does he rattle at you? (or she...)
Oliverian, I keep her from biting my by not giving her the opportunity. In that picture, what I am doing it called tailing. You hold the snake by its tail and use some type of tool to keep the head at bay. You could not “pick up” this snake with your hands, she is to nervous and unpredictable. The term for picking them up without tools is called freehanding and we do not recommend that for anyone. We do not recommend tailing for new keepers, only those who have worked with venomous snakes for quite sometime. Yes, she still rattles. In fact she starts as soon as she sees you and usually doesn’t stop till be leave the building.
__________________ 2.2 Crotalus adamanteus. 2.2 Crotalus h. atricaudatus. 2.2 Crotalus h. horridus. 1.1 Agkistrodon p. piscivorus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. contortrix. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. mokasen. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. laticinctus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. pictigaster. Agkistrodon c. phaeogaster. 1.2 Sistrurus miliarius barbouri. 1.1 Micrurus fulvius. 0.0.1 Micrurus fulvius tenere