View Single Post
Old 07-10-03, 01:14 PM   #44 (permalink)
A couple things and an update regarding my call to my FL friends:
1- Wow, regardless of my situation, I think I started a good thread. I appreciate everyone’s passionate/ from-the-heart responses.
2- In the article that Marisa last posted there is the quote: “Possession of illegal animals in Hawaii is punishable by fine of up to $200,000 and three years in jail.” I love my snakes, but that is a lot of money; I think we will all agree on that. Plus, I already got tweezers taken away from my carry-on while going thru a metal detector.
3- All my snakes were probed numerous times and each time it concluded that they were all girls. I honestly don’t think my girls would start asexual reproduction, nor do I believe a male burm will float on a stick to the islands where they will mate and take over the ecosystem. However, if anyone actually read the book “Jurassic Park” (different from the movie) and watched the 2nd Jurassic Park movie, all of this is truly possible.
4- You can see how bad I feel about having to find new homes for 4 snakes, I don’t think I could handle taking down an entire ecosystem.
5- My over all tone is that I absolutely love my snakes, but the reality of the matter is that we will be in Hawaii the minimum of 2 years, most likely 5 years, and heck, if he reenlists and we love it- 13 years. (My money is on the 2-5 years) I unfortunately do not see taking my snakes with as being an option.

Phone call to FL friends: (FYI- a couple opened up an exotic reptile shop in FL, after 3 years they shut down due to building health hazards, they will not be reopening.)
I called last night and told one of them my problem. Long story short, she just recommends that if I can’t friends to care for them (she is still trying to sell off 3 snakes that she still has from the shop- they can not take them for me); that 1) I have to suck it up and try to sell them, 2) to contact local reptile shops (i.e. Regal Reptiles in Rhode Island) and see if they will buy them from me, 3) contact humane societies (in CT, RI, MA, NY) in the event they know of anyone looking for reptiles, 4) ads in newspapers, 5) just give them away for free to a known good home, and last resort, 6) a reputable reptile rescue. She believes I would get more money for them up here than in FL.

So here I am now. I want to have them in their new locations by October (we leave CT Oct 10). I have a lot of research in front of me. Any additional suggestions as to where/how I should start?
I just found homes for my 4 snake ladies: ball python, colombian boa, hogg isle boa, and a burmese. *sniff* How I miss them so...

How do I set my laser printer to 'stun'?