View Single Post
Old 07-10-03, 04:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Well judging from the way snakes and reps get sold at the local pet store, I don't think that there is a lack of interest.

It is like anything in life, as humans we simply change our wants and needs. If the needs outweight the wants then sometimes action has to be done to deal with that. If on the other hand, the wants outweigh the needs and you can afford to satisfy those wants then people will act on them. I don't believe this is a rep specific situation. Low attendance at shows, low demand at this time of year could be nothing more then the fact that it is the dog days of summer and people are at cottages, out golfing , doing what they like to do.
In my business I sell high end product and this is a normal situation for us every year at this time of year and has been for as long as I can remember. This year has definitely placed a lot of challenges on people both financially and emotionally with the Iraq War, Sars, strained Canadian-US relations, Mad Cow Disease, massive increases in insurance rates, wacky fluctuations in fuel costs. All of these have effected us in one way or the other. And let's not forget the myriad of unforeseen circumstances that can creep into our lives

If you can afford to grow your collection and not put yourself into the poorhouse doing it, all the more power to you. If you can flip your love for the hobby into a money making venture, then that's great too. But some simply don't have the funds to go all out on the hobby or realize they are in a little deep and have lost the comfort level of ownership. Sometimes you just gotta do, what you gotta do. All anyone can hope for, is maintain balance in their lives, and if they have to reduce collections, that they are doing it for all the right reasons and that the well being of the animals being "released" is always kept in mind...

And if you come across that great deal, help a fellow herper out and make the having said that, anyone "releasing" a Durango King..

Stay well people and enjoy whatever you are into.