View Single Post
Old 07-09-03, 10:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
eyespy
Member
 
eyespy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep-2002
Posts: 2,125
Just remember that latex is a very complicated protein and that it can cause life-threatening allergies in humans and animals alike! I'm on disability because of a latex allergy and I"ve seen animals go into anaphylactic shock from it too. I've had my heart stop because of being in the same building where latex is in use, I don't even have to be in the same room.

Most of the large vet clinics I know stopped using latex back in 1997 when the NIOSH studies came out and latex use was discouraged by the US federal government.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/latexalt.html

The more you use latex, the more likely you
are to develop an allergy, particularly if you already have allergies to cross-reactive proteins.

http://www.latexallergyresources.org.../food_list.cfm

It took 18 years of use before I became allergic. There is no treatment but total latex avoidance. I've rehabbed reptiles that suffer from latex allergy so I know that the risk is not just for humans alone.

So of course I don't recommend using latex gloves.
__________________
The Zombie Mama is here!

http://www.thebeardedlady.org
eyespy is offline