Thread: Mite prevention
View Single Post
Old 06-27-03, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Former Moderator no longer active
You don't need to constantly be treating for mites. Once you are sure they have been irradicated then its all about proper management, no need to keep up the chemicals If you go to a pet store or handle someone elses animals, be sure to shower and change your clothing as soon as you get home. If you bring a new animal home, quarantine it properly and treat it for mites as a precautionary measure.

I would recommend going with an alternative route hwoever, in the future. Vapona is effective, but highly toxic and can easily injure/kill snakes, and is just not an all around healthy route, especially since you will be breathing this yourself as well. Nix is by far the safest method to use, and is every bit as effective as the other treatments. Click <a href=""> here</a> for an informative post written a little while ago about Nix.

Here's an excellent post about vapona...

Originally posted by Jeff_Favelle

Vapona works by vapours (yikes), NIX is basically just a soap that works mechanically and chemically. The answer wasn't arrogant and it wasn't even aimed at you. I was talking to Dom (hence the usage of his name) and he replied quite nicely to me that he wasn't going to use Vapona. I'm sorry if you have stock in the company or something, but I wouldn't advise ANYONE to use it.

The active ingredient (for organic chemists) is 2,2-dichlorovinyl dimethyl phosphate. That's nasty stuff man. Its a freakin' carcinogen!!! Its also a stomach poison, and its only meant for professional use. I have no idea how Vapona gets away with selling the stuff, but I wouldn't be caught dead (pun intended) with the stuff in my house, near me, my animals, or my family. DDVP is NOT something to fool around with. In fact, I'd rather play on a highway than breathe the stuff in. Call that arrogant. I call it smart.

In small amounts, cancer is fine. Does that mean I want little bits of cancer? No. What is a small amount to you or I of Vapona, could be a lethal dosage to a reptile 1/200th of your size. What about long-term affects? What if it affects fecundity? As a breeder, that would definitely suck for me. NIX is approved for use on HUMAN HEADS! Its a soap that smothers the insects while working as a mild chemical agent. Probably not the greatest thing, but far, far safer than DDVP. Plus its local. Anything that is used as a local agent is 10x more effective and safer than a general agent.

Go here for some analysis: Thanks for your time...