Family problems with Burm
I come from a close knit family, and I am definately the black sheep when it comes to pets. Everyone else is allergic to cats and hates exotics (my dad has a snake phobia and my mom has a spider phobia). I own two cats and three snakes... as you can tell, there aren't any dinners at my place.
Well, my mom is only aware of 2 of my three snakes, and when I rescued my Burm Python, I told her that was just until I get him healthy and find a new home for him. Well, since then I have grown to love the little craphead, even though he'll never be as good as the snakes I raised. I haven't had the guts to tell my mother that I'm not planning on getting rid of him.
But my mom does have a good point, I have some moving around to do in my future and a full grown Burm is going to make things difficult for me. She is so determined to have me get rid of him that she has offered to match whatever price I can get if I sell him. I guess I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar dilemma like this and how they have dealt with it. I'm an adult and I live on my own, so my mom can't tell me what to do. But I have a lot of respect for my mom and her opinion. It was hard enough getting her to accept the two cats and my baby red-tail. (I'll tell her about the dumeril boa when he's a little older.)
I guess I'm not really expecting any easy answers or advice - I hope no one jumps on me for being a "bad owner" because I'm considering selling - I just have to make a really hard decision. What would you do?
When people ask me if i'm a cat person or a dog person I tell them, "I'm a snake person"!