Thread: instead of many
View Single Post
Old 06-06-03, 08:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
BP13.... first of all it's spelled Chameleon, not camelion. Please, if you can't even spell the animal correctly, don't get one.

Now, what a lot of people don't know is that chameleons get quite large! Most species will reach lengths of between 6 to 8 feet! They are arboreal (meaning they live in trees) so a small rubbermaid container is not suitable. They do best living by themselves in a full grown baobab tree (Adansonia digitata). Do you have any of these in your yard?

They do eat live food! Which is really cool!!!! Now most species of chameleons come from the African continent. (Yes, I know there are a few on Antarctica, but those aren't generally found in the pet trade and are CITES listed) They are accustomed to eating the natural fauna of Africa. Fortunately I do have a supplier of f/t warthogs, hyenas and baby giraffes. Phew! Otherwise I couldn't keep as many chameleons as I do.

Breeding is very difficult! You have to retreive the a super aggresive female from high in her tree and move her to the male's tree. It's really hard by yourself. I've lost many fingers and received numerous bites from doing this. I consider myself lucky that I have not lost any arms and legs from doing this. I have tranquilizer darts and the like at my disposal should I need it, but I perfer that the animals don't get sedated. It's really hard on their metabolism.

They live almost 100 years in captivity so it's possible for them to outlive you! You will have to consider leaving them in your will to a family member. Is there someone in your life right now that would take on these animals?

These are just some of the main points that I can think of right now. I have to run, as I received ANOTHER rescued chameleon the other night and she needs an enema! Boy this is going to fun trying to give her that by myself!

I don't like reggae... oh no. I LOVE IT!
Member of AdCham
Login to remove ads