View Single Post
Old 06-05-03, 01:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
While I really enjoy and appreciate the appearance or personality of many of the snakes in my collection, they are not family to me. There are none that I couldn't sell or trade if the circumstances involving my family required it. We are currently facing a move to a province where several of the species we own are not permitted. I have sold or placed several snakes in the last month that have been with me since hatchlings; one guy that I am actually very fond of. It was hard to leave him behind because I apprecaite his nature and beauty, but I will not let owning him jeopardise our employment and family's future.

There are snakes that I have been happy to sell because after living with them for a while, I just really didn't like them. The Pueblan milksnake we had was just too much of an idiot and had to go (and the person who has him appreciates him). Would I sell part of my collection to get an albino boa - absolutely. Not for the profit of breeding albino boas, but because I can only look after a limited number of snakes and I selfishly would rather feed and care for an animal that I enjoy than one that is less appealing to me, whether for color or personality. I will also gladly sell individuals that I bought to be part of a breeding program if they turned out to be the wrong sex or were unsuitable for breeding. I would take reasonable care to place them in suitable homes, but they would go.

I started out in the hobby by rescuing a couple snakes and I wanted a pet. Being a part of the hobby resulted in my interests changing to include genetics and more diverse species and I buy or sell snakes to suit my interests. As much as I like specific individuals, every one of them has a value attached to it and they are possessions, but I feel very strongly that it is my ethical obligation to provide them with the best possible care when they are with me.

just my point of view,

mary v.
Mary VanderKop