View Single Post
Old 05-24-03, 05:50 AM   #33 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to Samba Send a message via MSN to Samba Send a message via Yahoo to Samba
Did someone say BEER?!?!?! LOL =D

Mike, I have to agree with you on this one. If anyone should be selling large onstrictors, let the specialty shops do it. Burms and Retics shouldn't be sold casually and I'll tell you why. Not only do they grow to a pretty unmanagable size, the average captive constrictor goes through about three or four homes. I can't remember were I read this statistic but it is reason enough for me.

Let the mom-n-pop pet stores sell the garters, corns and kings, leave the big guys to people who know what they're dealing with. Now, some might argue that if the store management, or owners let the buyers know what they are getting into the problem will be fixed. Not true. A shop here in Albuquerque, (a specialty shop, I might add), has adult snakes on hand for display to discourage the buying of burms and retics. The reason for this is that some people just don't realize how HEAVY or STRONG an 8 foot snake can be, let a lone a 20 foot one! Snakes as large as these shouldn't be sold as casual pets, and let me tell you... I wouldn't own one right now if he weren't a rescue.

Large constrictors do make great pets, and I have an infinite fondness for them; BUT, like iguanas, too many of them out there find themselves homeless, and 9 times out of 10 it's because of their size. Enough said.