View Single Post
Old 05-22-03, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Garder snakes like to warm I would put a large (5 ft. x 5 ft. min.) flat board or metal sheet on the ground in a sunny spot, near your barn. When I was a kid I spent all my days hunting for garder snakes, and on hot sunny days I would alway find them under large boards or heavy structures in the sun. A few years back, I was in the process of building a large free standing tree type fort for my kids and I had layed some of the big sections on the grass to dry from painting. Something came up and I had to stop working on the fort for a few weeks and when I came back to it...I lifted it up and found like 7 baby garder snakes underneath! So, if you put something down that is big enough and heavy enough and it's in the warm sun...they will go to it...just make sure you don't disturb it for a few weeks. Then on a sunny day lift it up and I am willing to bet that you will have at least 1 snake under there. They probably have their winter den under your barn and could use a good safe place to warm themselves! Good luck! ;-)