Thread: pond of snakes
View Single Post
Old 05-15-03, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to KrokadilyanGuy3 Send a message via Yahoo to KrokadilyanGuy3

..Well, it all depends on the type of top/bttom soils you got and how deep the top soil is if its a soft sandish type.
Generally out on the ranch my soil is a dark clayish soil. Holds water good and the top soil is only about 6" deep. However, in my back yard the soil is a sandy colored soft soil that goes down 4' or so before I hit the clay bottom. So I dig to as deep as I want in my back yard and if my desired depth is above the clay bottom I just throw down a blue colored tarp and throw about 3" of dirt back on top of the tarp. The grass and the water plant roots grow through the tarp and the tarpstill holds in the water so you still have clean, colored pond.
To attract animals have it well vegitated and lots of hiding areas.
Generally if you want a wide deveristy of animals and not the occasional cricket frog then I personlly find it best it being larger than 10' long and wide; But you may have a better wild life around your area so, what works for you.. Also, I found that its a good way to keep amphibians near your pond is having them raised there from before metamorphism.. Now everytime it rains I hear spadefoots and leos calling. Sadly, many get ran over being my home is near a few busy roads and the fences I have up wont keep in small creatures. ( I introduced these frogs when I was a mere youngin.) So be sure that you doing this it wont be regretted. And having multiple frogs calling at 3 am in your back yard could be disturbing. Here's a pic of the type of soil one of my ponds posses and a nile croc that likes laying on it.