View Single Post
Old 04-04-21, 01:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Gorgon

Re: Jungle Carpet Python: Feeding Pause.

Ok guys, now I'm pretty afraid. My female Jungle Carpet *still* hasn't eaten. This would mean she's gone without food for 8 months now, which I understand is pretty rare. However, we *did* have an unusually long and cold winter here in Albuquerque which, despite the fact that Medusa (my snake) has a state-of-the-art, climate-controlled environment, still affects her as the general temp of the house falls during this time. (Yes, I have a great A/C system but it can only do so much.) It only in the last couple days has started to warm up with summer temps.

I spend at least a half hour a week with her wrapped around my neck and she's still as strong and alert as ever and active within her enclosure: fairly consistently switching from the branches during the night to her hide during the day. (Sometimes she'll just stay up in the branches for days at a time though.)

So typically I clean her enclosure thoroughly once per week then re-introduce her to the area after cleaning at about 8p. Then, I immediately offer her F/T large mice and she's always fed well this way. (When I first got her, she only ate live, but with your guys' help, I transitioned her to F/T.)

Hence, here are what I think should be the next steps and I'd like very much to know if you agree with me:

[1] I just tried feeding her last night so I'm going to wait another 2 weeks and then I'm going to offer her food *without* interrupting her by cleaning her enclosure first. I'm going to wait until she becomes active at night and then just offer her that F/T large mouse in her enclosure just like if I had cleaned it first.

[2] If that doesn't work, 2 weeks after that I'm going to go back to the cleaning but after I re-introduce her to the enclosure, I'm going to wait about half an hour instead of offering her food right away.

[3] If that *still* doesn't work, 2 weeks later I'm going to do what I absolutely hate to do, which is offer her live.

[4] If she won't eat live either, another 2 weeks later I'm going to attempt an assist-feed. I know this should be absolutely be my last resort because the danger of injury to the snake is so great, but what other options do I have?

All of this feels weird since she's still so active and alert but by my estimation, she's lost ~200g since she stopped eating at the beginning of August 2020. She's 2 years, 8.5 months old. The last time she pooped was about 1.5 months ago and she last shed about 2.5 months ago. The poop was just a little bit of the dry white and the shed was not great either as I had to assist with about half her body. But she looks great: I always look her over completely every week and her coloring is solid and consistent and there's no redness anywhere.

So any suggestions at all regarding what steps to take at this point would be greatly appreciated as you all have helped me tremendously in the past. I *cannot* lose this snake as she is my one and only and, along with my German Shepherd, the love of my life. I had one Jungle Carpet before Medusa and she passed away at the middle of 2018. (I think it happened because I was keeping the enclosure too humid and a mouth infection traveled from that area and ended up causing a granuloma/abcess around her middle. Even after diligently keeping up a rigorous medical process daily plus an operation that removed the granuloma, the poor girl ended up passing away in my arms about half a year after the discovery of the granuloma.)

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer,
Aaron
Gorgon is offline   Reply With Quote