View Single Post
Old 11-09-20, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gorgon

Re: Jungle Carpet Python: Feeding Pause.

Chairman -- thank you very much for your reply.

Correct, I'm actually feeding a combination of large and extra-large mice. 2 reasons for this: I ordered too much of this prey from RodentPro.com and am just working through my stockpile *and* I think feeding more of a smaller prey item as opposed to less of a larger item will hopefully result in a larger snake. I know the first reason isn't the greatest but what do you think of the second? Do you think, at her age of 2.25 years and weight of 2043g, she's grown more than the typical Jungle Carpet?

Something else is that she seems to be *really* sensitive to heat. I have her in a 3'(w) x 3'(h) x 1'(d) glass enclosure with 80 F at the top and 70 F at the bottom and she spends most of her time at the very top among the branches but off a bit to the side so she's not directly exposed to the heat lamps. (Heat lamps are suspended about 8" from the top of the enclosure using 50w bulbs.)

About the gravid-potentiality, when I feel her during the weekly half-hour visit, she doesn't feel like she has eggs. Also, if she did have eggs, wouldn't she be gaining weight -- not losing? If she is, however, will she lay eggs in her enclosure instead of a lay box? At that point, I feel like I could transfer her into a lay box with enough time before the eggs go bad since I monitor her so often. What do you think of this?

If she is gravid, how much more time should I give her to lay her eggs? If she isn't gravid, how much longer do you think I should weight before I attempt an assist-feed?

Thank you again for all of your help. I am truly beyond grateful.

Aaron
Gorgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads